Decided to branch out in my cooking this evening and try something new: eggplant pizza. Yes, I found the idea on Pinterest. Surprise, surprise!
I’ve never really had eggplant, at least that I can recall. But the pretty purple vegetable has always intrigued me. When I saw the 18 million (possible exaggeration) recipes for eggplant pizza on Pinterest I decided to give it a go. I reviewed several recipes and decided that I understood the basics enough to do my own thing. I have two pictures from the prep process, but forgot to take a picture after. Oops!
Here’s my recipe!
One large eggplant
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Make eggplant slices about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Sprinkle with salt and let sweat for 30 minutes (I skipped this step and think it might have made a difference). After, wipe excess salt off the slices.
4. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper or another seasoning of your choice. One recipe suggested garlic salt.
5. Spread the pizza sauce.
6. Shred fresh mozzarella (I bought a low moisture fresh mozzarella round from Trader Joe’s) and sprinkle on top.
7. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning and bake for 20 minutes.
My oven runs hot so the cheese on mine was a little extra cooked, but it didn’t really matter. I was really impressed with how delicious it tasted! I do think I’ll sweat the eggplant next time as it seemed a bit too moist to me. All the pinterest posts said it helps keep the eggplant from getting rubbery from roasting.
I think with a little tweaking, this could be an easy go-to recipe for me. It didn’t take a lot of time, is healthy, and quite delicious. I recommend checking out the various takes on eggplant pizza on Pinterest and/or creating your own!
Another blogger is hosting another giveaway. Tara Sabo over at A Daily Dose of Fit has a box of GoMacro bars. She loves them and was offered the chance to reward a lucky reader with their own. Check it out!