I’m going in a different direction for Pinspire Me Fridays this week and sharing a recipe. One of the blogs I read regularly, The Lean Green Bean, shared the following recipe a few weeks ago. I made them for Memorial Day and they were a big hit.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a lover of anything chocolate and anything even remotely like cheesecake. These Black Bottom Cupcakes were obviously a perfect combination!
The recipe was super easy even with them being made from scratch.
- 8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, egg and sugar (1/4 cup) using a mixer.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir until combined.
- Line muffin tins with liners.
- Fill halfway with chocolate batter and top with cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool and store in refrigerator.
- I used regular white flour as that is what I had on hand.
- I used Ghirardelli ground chocolate powder that my roommate had, but regular cocoa will still produce a delicious result.
- I didn’t have a coffee maker so I just followed Lindsay’s instructions of increasing to 1 cup of water instead.
- I used dark chocolate chips.
- My oven runs hot so I ended up setting the dial to 325 degrees and pulled out the cupcakes after only 19 minutes.
- I got 14 cupcakes from the mixture.
Unlike in Lindsay’s photos, my cream cheese mixture sank as soon as I put it on top of the cupcake batter. Obviously it looks different, but everyone who ate them said they enjoyed the fact that the mixture was throughout the cupcake.
A big thank you to Lindsay for sharing her family recipe on her blog. Make sure to check out Lindsay’s blog regularly. She covers a wide variety of topics and there’s always something new to check out.
Question: Have you ever tried out a new recipe and it didn’t look quite like the picture, but it still tasted good?