A Day in the Life


Inspired by Lindsay over at The Lean Green Bean, I decided to join in the fun and participate in the “Day in the Life” link-up through Moms Little Running Buddy. I admit that my day probably isn’t as interesting as the days of other people, but hopefully it’s a solid peek into a typical day in my life. I’m also not actually a working mom, which is who her link-up is geared towards, since I don’t have kids. Unless of course you want to count my 6-month old kitten. For the sake of this, please do 🙂

6 a.m.

I wake up and feed Frasier. Sometimes he thinks 5 a.m. or even 2:30 a.m. are good times to wake me up. He’s been getting better about this, but every once in awhile I still feel a cold wet nose on my nose and whiskers tickling my face at some unreasonable hour. I’ve learned to ignore him rather than pet him and he’ll either settle down to rest or go off and play somewhere, which is hopefully not in the bedroom.

On the bright side, he no longer lets me hit “snooze.” Once he hears the alarm and sees the glow of the screen on my phone, that’s it. This means I’m up and getting ready.

7 a.m.


We just got him a water fountain because he would only drink water from the faucet. It’s worked great so far!


After getting ready, I take care of any of Frasier’s needs (litter box, cleaning his bowl if he’s eaten all his breakfast, checking the water level in his drinking fountain) and then make breakfast. Sometimes I take the time to make something healthy, other times I grab cereal or toast. Lately I’ve been going for cereal. Then I settle down to watch The Today Show and give Frasier some play time.

7:45 a.m.

I try to head to work around this time. It’s about a 5 minute drive to campus and then just a short walk to my office from the commuter lot.

My office...still waiting for my work order to go through to get stuff hung on the walls.

My office…still waiting for my work order to go through to get stuff hung on the walls. I’ve been here since October. If I was any good at hanging pictures, I’d do it myself.

8 a.m. – 12 p.m.


I’m usually working during this time. Sometimes I have a meeting, but Tuesday was a day where I could spend time working on a story and keeping on top of email.

12 – 1 p.m.


Lunch time! Many times I go home, since it’s so close, to eat, play with Frasier and maybe clean up around the house if need be. Yesterday I decided to stay at work. I had a protein shake while planning out my schedule for the week.

1 – 5 p.m.

You guessed it! Time for more work. I usually stick to the 8-5 schedule. Right out of college I worked in sports and had a schedule that not only included the 8-5 workday, but also 20-30 extra hours at times. Now that I’m out of that, I try to make sure I keep work at work, unless there’s a special project or event requiring extra time.Yesterday I had two afternoon meetings, one for our new website design and another for an orientation video for new employees.

I had a special treat yesterday as my friend dropped off a bottle of wine as a birthday surprise!


5 – 6:30 p.m.

Gym time! Sometimes I head to Ki’netik, but yesterday my schedule called for a 3-mile run and my strength workout at Anytime Fitness.

A shot of Anytime Fitness.

A shot of part of Anytime Fitness.

So it's only 85 lbs. Gotta start somewhere, right?

So it’s only 85 lbs. Gotta start somewhere, right?

6:30 – 8 p.m.

Regardless of what gym I go to, Gabe and I usually find ourselves home sometime between 6:30 and 7 p.m. We try to plan dinner in advance so we have ingredients on hand or know what we’ll need and can run by the grocery store, which is conveniently located between our place and the gym. Last night we made Indian food.

We usually put something from Netflix on while we’re eating. We’re currently working our way through Parenthood.

8 – 10 p.m.


After cleaning up and playing with Frasier, we usually settle down to read, watch TV, or fall asleep (usually me). Frasier sometimes joins us on the couch to snuggle.

11 p.m.

We feed Frasier and head to bed.

So there you have it! Hopefully it wasn’t too dull of a day. Some days can definitely be more exciting than others 🙂


9 thoughts on “A Day in the Life

  1. fitnessmomwinecountry

    Susan, so nice to meet you via the link up. Your desk looks very tidy and the cat drinking from the fountain is awesome. I won’t spoil alert Parenthood for you. Keep watching! We have two episodes left until the series is over, very sad:(
    I will enjoy reading more of your posts 🙂

I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s